Monday, March 14, 2011

30 Days of Truth: Day 9

Day 9: Someone you didn’t want to let go, but just drifted.


As I actually did stuff this weekend, I didn't have the energy to write in this thing. I think I may just start writing during the week. Kudos to those who can blog every day and actually write about something worthwhile.


There are a lot of people that could fit into this category. I moved a lot as a kid and went to a bunch of different schools so I've always had a difficult time making and keeping friends. That means I've always also had a difficult time keeping relationships of any kind, whether it be friend or family. Something I'm regretful about is losing touch with my cousin, Michele, who was both. 


We were best friends growing up. There are pictures of her at a baby shower that was held for my mother when she was pregnant with me. Her parents and my grandparents were close so we saw each other a lot. Once I moved to Florida, we still wrote each other letters all the time and when we both had the internet we'd e-mail and chat often too. Each summer and Christmas vacation I would fly back up to Jersey and stay with my Nan and Pop. I would see Michele almost every day. We were best friends for about 15 years.


It's odd, only when I actually moved back near her did we start to drift apart. I moved back in with my grandparents during freshman year of high school. She was a year ahead of me so we didn't have any of the same classes but we did see each other in the halls and at lunch.


I don't know when exactly we really stopped talking but now I see and talk to her only at weddings and funerals. It really hit me when I went to her wedding almost 2 years ago. I remember when we were younger talking about growing up, getting married and we were always in each other's plans. I talked to her briefly but it was like we were strangers. 


It would be nice to reconnect but we have both moved on with our lives and are completely different places than we were 10 years ago. All we have left are great memories that I will look back on fondly for a long time. 

No comments: