Thursday, March 10, 2011

30 Days of Truth: Day 8

Day 8: Someone who made your life hell or treated you like crap.


Man, another downer topic. I really didn't want my blog to be a bitchfest. I originally read all the 30 truth questions but can't remember most of them now. I hope at least some of them are positive ones.


Anyway, to answer this question..  Since I've complained about my parents so much I will take a crack at someone else, my ex-boyfriend. 


We started dating in high school, this was after he liked my friend Ashley first. I should have known then it wouldn't turn out well. It was a very dramatic and volatile relationship from the beginning. After my Pop died, I was having difficulties living at home with my Nan. Shortly after graduation, we moved into an apartment together. God, what a mistake that was. 


We were together almost 6 years; I don't know why I stayed so long. Actually, I have an idea. I already had terrible self-esteem before I met him and he only made it worse. He had me believing that he was the best I was ever going to do and that I should be lucky I had him since no one else would want me.


Granted, he had his own issues growing up (we all do) but nothing that serious.. at least nothing that he should have taken that seriously. He liked to blame everyone else for his problems, mostly me. He wasn't a clean and tidy person. The apartment was getting worse and worse. I was tired of doing everything myself and finally confronted him. His response? He didn't care if the apartment was clean, so he shouldn't have to clean it. If I wanted him to do what I thought was his part, he insisted I pay him for it.


Why I didn't leave that moment is beyond me. I put up with him for a year or two more. But I tend to think things happen for a reason. If things weren't the way they were, I may have never met Colin.


Looking back, it was a terrible time in my life but in the end it was all worth it.

No comments: